Many of us and/or our colleagues are observing Ramadan this month. Ramadan is an annual ritual in which those of the Islamic faith fast from dawn to dusk. In order to keep ourselves and our co-workers safe during this observance please remember the tips below while at work.
Ramadan Safety Awareness
A lack of food or water in the body can lead to fatigue and/or dehydration. Stay alert of the following warning signs for fatigue or dehydration and seek help if you or your co-workers exhibit any symptoms below.
Dehydration Symptoms (via Mayo Clinic)
- Extreme thirst
- Less frequent urination
- Dark coloured urine
Fatigue Symptoms (via Medicinenet)
- Feeling weak
- Constantly tired
- Lack of energy
- Change of vision
- Tiring easily with minimal activity
If you or your colleagues experience any of the symptoms above, you must do the following:
- Speak to your supervisor or management team
- Seeking first aid if needed
- Make additional travel arrangements if feeling fatigued (do not drive!)
- Take breaks/rest periods as needed (out of the sun)
- Maintain communication with colleagues and management
Follow the tips above for a safe and happy Ramadan!